As adventurous and discerning empty nesters, we have a lot of fun during the travel planning process, and we like to take our time to create the perfect weekend getaway. Our list of requirements includes: fabulous accommodations, delicious food, fun activities, pleasant weather, beautiful scenery, a cultural excursion, spring baseball and best of all, simple relaxation.
Unique itineraries for luxury travelers over 50
If we get all this, we’re happy.
But like many who’ve reached middle age, we’ve had the opportunity to see and do some pretty amazing things. So it’s a bonus when we can crank up the excitement meter on trips by creating days filled with interesting activities in new and intriguing locations.
Scottsdale in spring
Our most recent adventure was to spend a glorious weekend in Scottsdale, Arizona. It had been tops on our list for quite some time. Most importantly, we wanted to attend the Major League Baseball Spring Training to see the Los Angeles Dodgers!
In March, our dream came true.
We traveled to Scottsdale to watch a spring training baseball game, relax at a brand-new luxury resort and walk through the historic desert home of visionary architect, Frank Lloyd Wright.
Andaz Scottsdale Resort and Spa
We were thrilled to stay at the brand-new Andaz Scottsdale Resort & Spa, which just opened in January, 2017. The hotel’s spectacular art- and nature-inspired design fits seamlessly into the beauty of the desert landscape of Paradise Valley.
Using the resort as our home base, we drove to see the Dodgers play and ventured out to visit Taliesin West (Frank Lloyd Wright’s winter home, which blends in masterfully with the desert).
Of course, we also immersed ourselves in Andaz hospitality.
During the day, we either relaxed in our large casita-inspired bungalow, which included our own patio and private dining area, or sat by the gorgeous main pool.
One warm evening, we dined by candlelight on locally sourced cuisine at the resort restaurant Weft and Warp Kitchen + Bar. Other evenings, we took advantage of the many superb restaurant possibilities in nearby downtown Scottsdale.
Eight exciting reasons to choose Scottsdale for your travel bucket list
1) The desert landscape is spectacular and peaceful.
2) You can catch Major League baseball games during the Cactus League in March.
3) The local cuisine is innovative and restaurants are high quality.
4) Travel to Scottsdale is good any time of year, except the summer; Scottsdale in spring is especially lovely. Tip: pack light – most people wear resort clothes (the city feels upscale yet casual).
5) Taliesin West, the winter home of the famous architect Frank Lloyd Wright, is awe-inspiring.
6) The Andaz Scottsdale Resort & Spa is a refreshing, well designed luxury property.
7) It’s easy to drive and park at every location in the city. (A rental car is a must!)
8) The Palo Verde Spa at the Andaz offers indulgent treatments.
Whether you seek non-stop activity or just days to kick back and relax, you can create your own personal itinerary that will fit your style of vacation.
Enjoy Scottsdale! It is f-a-b-u-l-o-u-s!
What’s appealing to the over-50 luxury traveler?
- Scottsdale is an upscale city with high-end shops, top-notch restaurants and sunny weather.
- You’ll be in good company – Scottsdale is a popular retirement destination for affluent baby boomers.
- Spa afficionados wax lyrical about Scottsdale’s luxury spas.
- If watching a game of Spring Training baseball in Scottsdale is important to you, make sure you check out the schedule for your favorite team in February and plan your trip around the game times.
- Make dinner reservations in advance. The town of Scottsdale is popular and it makes the trip go so much smoother having your dinner reservations booked ahead.
- Tours of Taliesin West are popular – again, book in advance.
- It gets extremely hot from June to September. Check out the average temps before you book your trip.
IF YOU GO
- Dodger Spring Training Website (each team has their own site)
- Experience Scottsdale (official tourism bureau for the city)
Be sure to get the whole scoop on Suzanne’s visit to Scottsdale in spring on Adventures of Empty Nesters!
*Lead photo: Experience Scottsdale. All other photos: Suzanne Stavert (except Pinterest image)
Share GOT on Pinterest!