The opening of the Waldorf Astoria Beverly Hills hotel brings an added elegance to a city that is known as a home to the rich and famous.
Housing a Jean-Georges restaurant, the new hotel is posited to become a mecca for tourists and locals in one of America’s most visited destinations.
From the impressive lobby entrance to the rooftop pool and restaurant, the hotel is subtly stunning. Each room and suite has state-of-the-art amenities. The La Prairie Spa provides everything any man or woman would need to be red-carpet-ready at a moment’s notice, including a caviar lifting and firming facial.
With famed New York restaurateur and Michelin-star Chef Jean-Georges Vongerichten at the culinary helm of Jean-Georges at Waldorf Astoria Beverly Hills, diners will be disarmed by the extraordinary dining experience that couples European style with California flavors. The restaurant offers a compelling reason why luxury travelers will want to make this new property their home-away-from-home.
The Jean-Georges at Waldorf Astoria Beverly Hills experience
During a recent visit to Jean-Georges at Waldorf Astoria Beverly Hills, my meal started with a picture-perfect Egg Caviar that was softly scrambled with whipped cream, and paired with Billecart-Salmon Jean-Georges Brut Rose French Champagne.
That was followed by Ahi Tuna Ribbons with fresh avocado, radish and ginger dressing, paired with a 2016 Antinori Tenuta Guado al Tasso. A delicious Parmesan Risotto with pickled pear and black truffle was presented next with a golden sake service; sipping Born Muroka Nama Genshu Sake from Japan was an epic beginning to the entree and dessert course yet to come.
There were two outstanding entrees. Seared Black Cod with glazed baby turnips, broccoli de ciccio with herbal broth was paired with a stunning 2003 Schloss Schonborn Erbacher Marcobrunn Riesling. Roasted Wagyu Beef Tenderloin with spinach, basil, sesame and chili was paired with a 2013 Staglin Salus Estate Cabernet Sauvignon from the Napa Valley.
The exquisitely constructed and superb Hibiscus Apple Confit with crème fraiche and green apple sorbet was a sinfully delicious ending, paired with a 2016 Elio Perrone Bigaro Moscato/Brachetto from Piedmont, Italy.
The chef also kindly sent a sweetly constructed plate of Mignardises to my table, derived from the word mignard, which means graceful, pretty and delicate to enjoy. It was such a privilege to be in the company of food and beverage professionals who not only know what should be done but do it with grace and style.
Summing it up
This entire evening of superb gastronomy Jean-Georges at Waldorf Astoria Beverly Hills is as close to any you might find in Paris.
From the golden sake service to the delicate dessert, my dinner was a sophisticated culinary experience. From start to finish, it felt ethereal to be tasting Chef Vongerichten’s fusion of JG signature recipes with trendy California flavors.
“I’m excited to have found the perfect partner to make my West Coast debut and to bring my culinary passion to one of the world’s most prestigious hotel brands,” said Chef Jean-Georges. “I truly value the opportunity to bring exquisite food and discerning guests together in one place and look forward to becoming a part of the Beverly Hills community, bringing a new inspiring environment to life and having a presence in California for the first time.”
Keeping in line with the hotel’s unprecedented luxury and authentic hospitality, Vongerichten sources and combines an artful harmony of seasonal ingredients and crafting eliciting the finest flavors in each dish. The indoor and outdoor dining venues strike a perfect balance between guests’ palates and their views of the space. The culinary dream team of Jean-Georges at Waldorf Astoria Beverly Hills is led by chefs Steve Benjamin, Deden Patra and Richard Archuleta.
“We’re thrilled to partner with Chef Jean-Georges, an acclaimed talent in the restaurant industry, to bring true epicurean excellence to Los Angeles,” commented Luc Delafosse, managing director of Waldorf Astoria Beverly Hills. “We both share a passion and understanding for creative techniques and superb quality in culinary arts and exceptional service, a philosophy that is infused throughout Waldorf Astoria Beverly Hills.”
What’s appealing to the over-50 luxury traveler?
- Dress code for JG Rooftop is casual and for JG Dining room dressy for women and men. (During my dinner visit, I did not see men in anything but suits and tie and women were dressy chic.)
- The hotel is within walking distance of Rodeo Drive, in the heart of the shopping center of Beverly Hills, which also offers a countless number of other fine restaurants. It is twenty minutes from LAX by car, and forty minutes from downtown Los Angeles.
- The hotel offers the best views of Beverly Hills and beyond to be found.
- Take advantage of the hotel pool in early morning pool when it is a quiet and delightful experience.
- The hotel is fully ADA compliant.
- Any time of year is a good time to visit Beverly Hills. I prefer fall. Wilshire and Rodeo Boulevards are always exciting around the holidays. In January, the Golden Globe Awards are held next door at the Hilton; celebrity sightings are common at that time.
- Advance reservations are a must at Jean-Georges at Waldorf Astoria Beverly Hills, especially for sunset at the JG Rooftop.
- The hotel has valet parking and there is metered street parking on little Santa Monica Boulevard adjacent to the hotel.
IF YOU GO
*All photo credits as noted in captions
The author’s visit was hosted by the Waldorf Astoria Beverly Hills.