GOT editors have gathered news worth noting – here are some ideas and inspiration from travelers, bloggers, news media, and industry in print and online that recently piqued our interest and might whet yours if you’re an over-50 traveler!
TRAVEL NEWS WORTH NOTING
News You Can Use
California 101, a new video series for travelers
- Headed to the “Golden State” and not sure what to see and do? Non-profit Visit California has created a new web series, California 101, with 35 videos showcasing various destinations within the state. They can be viewed on the Dream365TV network and are also viewable on YouTube. Check out the one on Beverly Hills below.
Plans for celebrating President’s Day Weekend?
- Follow in the footsteps of U.S. Presidents by visiting Cody/Yellowstone Park. Presidents Chester A. Arthur, Theodore Roosevelt, Warren Harding, Bill Clinton, Barack Obama, Jimmy Carter, and George H.W. Bush among them have been there. Take a peek at the article on GOT by contributors Sue Reddel and Diana Laskaris, Yellowstone National Park: The Luxury of Simple Pleasures.
Opening of The Cove, a Ritz-Carlton resort in Bermuda
- Bermuda tourism is on the rebound with new luxury properties cropping up and old ones being renovated to their former splendor. Travel Weekly notes that The Cove, a Ritz Carlton Reserve Residence Resort, announced its summer 2018 opening on Caroline Bay on Bermuda’s west end.
A one-of-a-kind Arctic experience
- Off the Map Travel is launching a six-room floating hotel with Arctic Bath on Sweden’s Lule River. Rooms will either float in the water or be frozen into the ice. Expected to open autumn 2018, you can pre-book this bespoke experience at The Artic Bath Hotel & Spa, via email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone +44 (0) 800 566 8901.
Chef Ethan Stowell joins Holland America’s Culinary Council
- Some of the greatest joys of cruising are culinary experiences. On a typical 7-day cruise, cruisers are likely to eat meals on board so cruise lines are constantly trying to improve their food venues and menus. One such effort: Holland America Lines employs an ongoing Culinary Council, comprised of master chefs, to assure the high standards of its cuisine. The line recently announced the addition of its newest Council member, renowned Seattle-based chef, Ethan Stowell.
Win a trip to the scenic Cinque Terre!
- Acanela Expeditions, a leader of educational and adventure expeditions around the globe, is sponsoring a Cinque Terre sweepstakes. The winner will receive $1000 airfare voucher for a trip to these scenic, seaside villages; a 4-night, 5-day stay in a boutique hotel; delicious breakfast buffets; a hands-on cooking class; a day cruise; a $250 gift card to Lucky Brand, and a BRICs 21-inch spinner suitcase. Enter here. The contest ends February 11, 2018.
Fish the Florida Keys
- Dream of fishing in the Florida Keys? Enter the “Fish the Florida Keys Giveaway” to win one of five 3-night getaways to the Keys. Each trip includes two ½ day fishing charters and stays at some of the Key’s most beautiful properties. Click here to enter online. Entry periods extend through April 16, 2018. The rules and fine print can be found on the Florida Keys Facebook page.