Everyone knows that Hershey makes great chocolate. But I had no idea that Hershey, Pennsylvania, offers a wealth of attractions that include a botanical garden with a butterfly atrium, a chocolate museum, a theme park, a zoo – and a luxury hotel named The Hotel Hershey, a mecca for chocolate fans.
There are other properties in Hershey, but if you’re looking to indulge yourself in a little (or a lot!) of luxury, The Hotel Hershey should be your first choice.
The Hotel Hershey review: Flowers galore!
A four-star property and proud member of the Historic Hotels of America, The Hotel Hershey is a work of art inside its walls as well as on its beautifully manicured grounds.
I enjoyed strolling the 300-acre property, impressed by the bright white gazebos, the perfectly groomed greenery and the 300 flower baskets that adorn and brighten every nook and cranny of the estate.
The Hotel Hershey review: Rooms and spa
You’ll be impressed with the attention to detail in every fixture and piece of furniture at The Hotel Hershey. It took two years to build the original structure, which opened in 1933 with 170 guest rooms. The West Tower opened in 1977, bringing the room count up to 270 rooms, and six lovely Woodside Cottages were added in 2009.
The Chocolate Spa at The Hotel Hershey opened in 2001, and in my opinion, makes a visit to this surprising oasis in Central Pennsylvania, a must for any sophisticated chocolate lover.
The Hotel Hershey review: Chocolate treats
You will even find some menu items featuring cocoa cuisine in The Circular, the dining room at The Hotel Hershey, where every table has a perfect view of the gardens.
Must try: Indulge in The Hotel Hershey’s signature chocolate martinis, available in the Iberian Lounge, the Circular and the Oasis Restaurant and Lounge in the Chocolate Spa.
What’s appealing to the over-50 luxury traveler?
- If you’re a nostalgia buff, take the complimentary Historic Tour of The Hotel Hershey. You’ll learn all about the construction of this iconic property and its importance to the area.
- The Woodside Cottages are the best choice for family groups visiting The Hotel Hershey. The main guest room buildings are generally quiet and relaxed, and not conducive to active children and large groups.
- The Chocolate Spa at The Hotel Hershey is a luxury spa offering a wide range of services. The edible chocolate facials, chocolate body wrap and whipped chocolate bath are some of the recommended chocolate treatments for chocolate lovers.
- More moderately priced family-style accommodations are available at the Hershey Lodge or other hotels in the area such as the Courtyard by Marriott.
- If you have mobility issues, ask for a room near the main lobby when making your reservation, as some rooms in the towers are a considerable distance from the lobby and main dining room.
IF YOU GO
Be sure to get the whole scoop on this Hotel Hershey review on Chocolatour!
*All photo credits: Doreen Pendgracs, except for lead photo and where noted
The author’s stay was subsidized by the Hershey/Harrisburg Visitors Bureau.
Share GOT on Pinterest!