We loved our recent brunch at Gotham Bar and Grill but didn’t realize at the time, it was truly historic.
We later learned that since the restaurant first opened in 1984, this was the only time the legendary New York City institution has offered a special Father’s Day brunch menu.
In fact, brunch at Gotham is a bit of an oddity itself. Until this year, brunch had only been “on the menu” on Mother’s Day and Valentine’s Day. (Can’t blame the team for opting to sleep-in on Sunday mornings. After all, the restaurant is open for dinner seven nights a week and serves lunch every weekday.)
But what a special treat it was to celebrate Father’s Day at Gotham!
Our history at Gotham
We began visiting Gotham for special occasions when our son Andrew was a student at NYU. Twelve years later, we still find excuses to return, with or without him. Why?
A meal at Gotham Bar and Grill is orchestrated with the same precision as a symphony at the Philharmonic. It’s practiced and perfect.
The multi-leveled room is breathtaking: It’s spacious but never feels cavernous. The dramatic overhead lighting is draped in champagne-colored fabrics that play off the rich dark wood floors and mahogany furniture. The space has the feel of a Parisian brasserie sprinkled with a touch of New York elegance, art and whimsy.
Most notable: Chef Alfred Portale’s “New American” menu is reliably creative and delicious.
Whether you are a vegan or a carnivore, you’ll find many dishes on the menu at Gotham that will tempt your appetite—and whatever you order will exceed your expectations for taste and quality. The food is fresh and seasonal, the presentation is artful, and the service is polished and professional.
I guess that’s why Gotham has continued to garner Michelin stars every year since 2006.
Sampling of our favorite brunch dishes at Gotham
What’s appealing to the over-50 luxury traveler?
- Our three-course, fixed price menu was $75, well worth the splurge on Father’s Day and a steal for a meal of this caliber in New York City. It included a free Manhattan or Martini for Dad!
- While the $38 fixed-price weekday lunch is a bargain, the three-course NYC Restaurant Week lunch (served twice a year—winter and summer) is even more unbeatable. NYC Restaurant Week 2017 runs from July 24 to August 18th. Reservations open on July 10th.
- Obviously, on Father’s Day, many families celebrate with small children and/or grandchildren in tow. The maître-D masterfully seated families with toddlers on the platform near the bar so as not to disrupt other diners on the main dining floor. It also gave them more room to stow strollers. (I hope to achieve platform status as a grandparent one day!)
- The tree-lined neighborhood, close to Washington Square and filled with NYU students, is delightful for walking off your meal.
- Not only was the meal memorable but our server, Robert, presented each of us with a three-piece sampler of incredible Gotham bon bons to take home, a blend of blend of dark chocolate and Stranahan’s Colorado Whiskey. The chocolates are handmade at Gotham by Pastry Chef Ron Paprocki.
- Reminder! Brunch at Gotham Bar and Grill is only available on Mother’s Day, Father’s Day and Valentine’s Day.
- Reservations for brunch (or any other meal) can be made on OpenTable or by phone.
- Because of the restaurant’s popularity, try to book as early as possible. (Reservations can be made up to one month in advance.)
- If you haven’t made a reservation, don’t despair. You may be able to snag a table by calling Gotham the day before (after the restaurant has made its confirmation calls).
IF YOU GO
Gotham Bar and Grill
12 East 12th Street, between Fifth Avenue & University Place, New York, NY
Be sure to get the whole scoop on Gotham Bar and Grill, a New York legend, on More Time To Travel!
Also on More Time To Travel: