(Updated 11/15/18: This was a time-limited deal that is no longer available.)
What can you buy for $10 that lasts a lifetime?
It’s the lifetime Senior Pass that allows U.S. citizens and permanent residents, age 62 and over, access to more than 2000 National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands. The pass is also called an “America the Beautiful” Pass and sometimes, more disparagingly, the “Golden Geezer” Pass.
GOT has learned that pursuant to Congressional legislation passed last December, the fee for the Senior Pass will be increasing to $80 before the end of the 2017 calendar year. An annual pass will also be available at a cost of $20 a year.
The precise date of the price hike is uncertain so if you are eligible, it’s best to act now!
What do you get for 10 bucks?
- Entrance or access for the pass owner and passengers in the same vehicle
- A 50% discount on some amenity fees such as camping, swimming and boat launches
How do you purchase the Senior Pass?
- The Pass can be purchased in person for $10 at any of the recreational facilities listed.
- Mail or online purchases are $20 ($10 for the pass and an additional $10 processing fee).
- Because there has been a rush on sales due to the impending price hike, the U.S. Department of Interior estimates it will take approximately six (6) weeks to obtain the pass after applying online and ten (10) weeks to obtain it when applying via snail mail.
A few other tips…
- If you already have a Golden Age or Golden Age Passport, those passes will still be honored: There is no reason for you to purchase a Senior Pass.
- Individuals who are permanently disabled can qualify for a free lifetime Access Pass.
Need more information?
- Contact 1-888-ASK-USGS and press 3 (888-275-8747, option 3), or
- Email: [email protected]